- Professional coaching focuses on setting goals, creating outcomes and managing personal change.
- While positive feelings/emotions may be a natural outcome of coaching, the primary focus is on creating actionable strategies for achieving specific goals in one's work or personal life.
- The emphases in a coaching relationship are on action, accountability, and follow through.
- Therapy deals with healing pain, dysfunction and conflict within an individual or in relationships.
- The focus is often on resolving difficulties arising from the past that hamper an individual's emotional functioning in the present, improving overall psychological functioning, and dealing with the present in more emotionally healthy ways.
- The goal of therapy is an improvement of the emotional/affective state.
Source: International Coach federation: https://www.coachfederation.org/
NOTE: Coaching is not suitable to address areas such as Trauma, Addictions or Depression which might be better addressed by a therapist